What is Alli and how does it work?
Published: 20th February, 2014 in: Weight Loss
What is Alli?
Alli is a brand that provides clinically proven weight loss tablets that are available over the counter in pharmacies. The product is intended for overweight adults who follow a reduced calorie, low fat diet.
How does Alli work?
Alli tablets work by attaching itself to some of the body’s natural enzymes that break down fat, so you don’t absorb it. This prevents some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. Alli has been proven to boost weight loss when added to a reduced calorie, lower far diet. It encourages a steady, healthy weight loss; for every 2lbs you lose through healthy eating, Alli could help you lose an extra 1lb.
Italian Fritatta – 414 calories, 15g fat
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
- 400g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 11g 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g onion, chopped
- 160g 1 red pepper, diced
- 200g 1 large courgette, diced
- 6 medium eggs
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150g bag Italian style salad leaves
- 60ml 4 tbsp fat free herb dressing
- 200g 4 wholemeal rolls
- 80g extra light soft cheese
- Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender, then thickly slice.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry vegetables for 7-8 minutes until golden, stir in the sliced potatoes.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and herbs and season to taste. Pour into the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes, using a spatula to loosen the edges.
- Place under a preheated grill for 5 minutes to cook the top, making sure it is cooked throughout.
- Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves in the dressing in a large bowl.
- Halve the rolls and spread with the extra light soft cheese.
- Cut the omelette into wedges and serve with the rolls and salad.
Smoked Haddock Fish Cakes – 450 calories, 13g fat
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Serves: 3
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium eggs
- 225g skinless smoked Haddock
- 50ml semi skimmed milk
- 25g low fat (<40% fat) spread
- 175g frozen petit pois, cooked
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 11g 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 200c/Gas mark 6/fan oven 180c
- Just cover the potatoes with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes until cooked.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool the eggs and shell. Drain the potatoes and mash them together with the eggs.
- Strain the fish and reserve the cooking liquid. Add to the potatoes and eggs. Stir in the fish flaked, and the petit pois.
- Shape into six cakes.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and roll the fish cakes to coat evenly.
- Pour the oil into a baking tin. Heat for 5 minutes in the oven. Add the fishcakes, turn in the hot oil and cook for 23-35 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve hot.
Market Garden Risotto – 340 calories, 13g fat
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Serves: 2
- 600 hot vegetable stock made with 1 cube
- 6 saffron strands (optional)
- 15 olive oil
- 125g 1 medium leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 100g risotto rice, i.e Arborio
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g fine green beans, trimmed and cut in half length-ways
- 150g bag Italian style salad leaves
- 50g fresh peas
- 1 medium courgette, diced
- 90g asparagus spears, chopped into 2cm lengths
- 60g 4tbsp freshly chopped herbs i.e parsley, chives, tarragon
- 25g Parmesan cheese shavings
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Infuse the saffron strands in the hot stock for a few minutes whilst preparing the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and sauté the leek and celery for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured, then add the garlic and the rice and continue to cook for 1 minute until the grains become transparent and glossy.
- Now add half the stock, a ladleful at a time to the rice, stirring with each addition until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the vegetables to the rice and continue to stir in ladlefuls of the remaining hot stock. Once all the stock has been absorbed the rice and vegetables will be tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the freshly chopped herbs and season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide between two warm bowls and sprinkle on shavings of Parmesan. Serve immediately.