Please note, due to unusually high demand, processing times for Veterinary Prescriptions is currently up to 5 working days.
Royal Mail are currently experiencing resourcing issues affecting deliveries in some areas. Click Here for more details
How Bio-Oil Improves The Appearance Of Stretch Marks and Scarring
What is Bio-Oil?
Bio-Oil is a specially formulated oil product comprising of a blend of essential plant oils and vitamins that are known to be beneficial to the skin’s appearance and health. It also contains a unique ingredient called PurCellin Oil™, which lowers the viscosity of the product formulation helping it to be easily absorbed into the skin, rather than simply sitting on the surface of the skin.
Bio-Oil is dedicated to creating innovative skin treatment products, that is why Bio-Oil is hypoallergenic, suitable for sensitive skin, and is completely cruelty-free (meaning it is not tested on animals).
What is Bio-Oil used for?
Bio-Oil has been specifically formulated to support the skin during pregnancy and periods of rapid growth to help minimise the formation of stretch marks by maximising skin elasticity. It is also designed to help improve the appearance of scarring (both new and old), and help maintain elasticity of scar tissue on joints and other high mobility areas.
Its key uses are as follows:
- Scars - Bio-Oil will help to improve the appearance of both new and old scars which may have formed from surgery, accidents, insect bites, or common skin conditions including acne
- Stretch marks - The product helps to reduce the possibility of stretch marks forming during pregnancy, teenage growth spurts and periods of fast weight gain. Bio-Oil is also frequently used to improve the appearance of existing stretch marks
- Ageing skin - It will help to smooth and tone ageing, wrinkled skin on the body and face
- Dehydrated skin - Bio-Oil helps to supplement the natural oils of the skin which are stripped away by factors such as extreme weather, water with a high chemical content, frequent bathing, and the drying effects of air conditioning
- Uneven skin tone - It helps to improve the appearance of blemishes and pigmentation marks caused by skin lighteners, hormonal fluctuations, or excessive sun exposure.
Who is Bio-Oil for?
Thanks to its multitude of uses, Bio-Oil is a product which is suitable for almost anyone. If you’re looking to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, ageing skin and dehydrated skin, then Bio-Oil is an ideal product that is suitable for sensitive skin.
It is recommended that Bio-Oil is not used on babies until they are over two years of age.
An estimated 75-90% of women are prone to stretch marks during pregnancy, particularly in the second and third trimesters; Bio-Oil could help with this. Bio-Oil is safe for use during pregnancy and when breastfeeding/nursing, however, it is important to not use Bio-Oil on the nipples as babies are sensitive and should not ingest Bio-Oil. If any doubt, please consult your GP.
Different product types
Bio-Oil comes in two different product formats.
Bio-Oil Liquid one of Bio-Oil’s most famous products; its super silky texture means that the product will melt into your skin, providing a lovely and soft finish with a gentle, non-irritating scent. Bio-Oil liquid is the go-to product to improve the appearance of stretch marks and scars.
If you’re prone to dry skin, then Bio-Oil dry skin may be a good product for you. This product is a dry gel which rubs into your skin, designed to provide relief from those dry skin symptoms. Bio-Oil Dry Skin gel replenishes the skin’s barrier and deeply moisturises, creating a protective film to resist moisture loss and restore dry skin to a smooth, hydrated state.
It’s a new way to treat dry skin and is contrary to traditional dry skin products like creams, lotions and body butters which are typically made from water as Bio-Oil dry skin gel is made from oils, giving a warm feeling upon application.
Most of the water in your traditional dry skin products will simply evaporate when coming into contact with the skin, which often causes a cold sensation when applied. Bio-Oil’s unique, warm sensation upon application has been highly praised during user trials.
How does Bio-Oil work?
Bio-Oil contains a range of ingredients which help care for the skin. Ingredients such as vitamin A help to improve the skin’s elasticity while vitamin E makes the skin softer, smoother and more supple. Bio-Oil also contains lavender oil which offers calming and soothing benefits, and rosemary oil which has mild antiseptic capabilities that help in easing congestion, puffiness and swelling of the skin. Calendula oil is also found in the product as it is a natural antioxidant that can clear and stimulate skin cell growth. Another key ingredient is chamomile oil which calms, soothes and is particularly beneficial for sensitive skin.
How to use Bio-Oil?
How to use Bio-Oil will depend on what you’re intending to use it for.
- To improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks, massage the product in circular motions into the scar when it has fully healed on the skin and surrounding skin, twice daily, for a minimum of 3 months. Do not apply the product on broken skin or open wounds.
- To improve the appearance of pregnancy stretch marks, Bio-Oil should be applied to the breasts, abdomen, hips, buttocks and thighs twice daily from the start of the second trimester
- To improve the appearance of uneven skin tone, apply the product to the affected areas, twice daily, for a minimum of 3 months. Bio-Oil does not contain sunscreen factor, so sunscreen should be applied once Bio-Oil has been fully absorbed
- To improve the appearance of aging or dehydrated skin, apply the product twice daily to the affected area. If used as part of a daily skincare regime, Bio-Oil should be applied before regular moisturiser
How long does it take to see results?
You could start seeing results from consistent Bio-Oil application in as little as 4 weeks, though should continue to use the product for the recommended time specified above - that is 3 months minimum for most conditions, in order to truly see the effect of the product.
What to know before using Bio-Oil.
Bio-Oil should not be used on broken skin, so please wait until your skin is fully healed before applying the product.
Bio-Oil is not suitable for use on babies until they are over two years of age.
It is safe to use Bio-Oil on your body while breastfeeding and nursing, however, the product should not be used on the nipples. Although Bio-Oil is non-toxic, babies are incredibly sensitive and they should not ingest Bio-Oil, even in the very smallest amount. If there is any doubt, please consult your GP.
Bio-Oil can help provide relief from discomfort caused by dry and dehydrated skin. However, it is a cosmetic product and therefore should not be used to treat eczema. It is recommended to seek advice from your GP for the treatment of eczema.
It is important to be aware that no treatment can completely remove scarring, therefore it is important to manage expectations and use Bio-Oil products to help improve the appearance of scarring. Results will vary depending on skin types, skin conditions and other factors.
Bio-Oil’s properties can help to alleviate symptoms of a variety of common skin conditions, improve the appearance of scars or stretch marks, and replenish the skin with its moisturising abilities.
Discover the range of Bio-Oil products available online at Weldricks Pharmacy.