Please note, due to unusually high demand, processing times for Veterinary Prescriptions is currently up to 5 working days.
Royal Mail are currently experiencing resourcing issues affecting deliveries in some areas. Click Here for more details
Galfer Syrup 300ml
Galfer Syrup contains ferrous fumarate which is used to replace low levels of iron in the blood. It is also used to treat and prevent anaemia caused by iron deficiency.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
Prevention: Take two 5ml spoonfuls once a day.
Treatment: Take two 5ml spoonfuls once or twice a day.
Children under 12 and infants:
The doctor will decide how much to give your child. Follow the instructions on the pharmacist's label.
Prolonged use in children should be supervised by the doctor, as excessive use may lead to dangerous levels of iron in the blood.
You can take Galfer Syrup when pregnant or breastfeeding, but talk to your doctor first before using the medicine particularly if you are in the first 3 months of pregnancy.
Take this medicine before meals on an empty stomach if possible. If Galfer Syrup upsets your stomach, take it with or after food.
Some foods such as tea, eggs and milk may reduce the amount of iron absorbed by the body. Check with the doctor or pharmacist about which foods to avoid.
Galfer Syrup may make your stools darker than usual. This is a normal effect of medicines containing iron.
Galfer Syrup may blacken the teeth. To help prevent this, rinse your mouth with water after taking.
Vitamin C and drinks containing citric acid may increase the amount of Iron absorbed.
If your symptoms have not started to improve after 28 days, you should ask your doctor for advice.
Treatment should not normally carry on for more than 3 months after the iron deficiency has been corrected. Your doctor will advise you when to stop.
This medicine contains 10g of liquid maltitol per 10ml dose (calorific value 2.3kcal/g). This may have a mild laxative effect.
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
It also contains sodium hydroxybenzoates which may cause an allergic reaction (possibly delayed).
Do not use Galfer Syrup medicine if the intended user:
- Has an allergy to any of the ingredients.
- Other problems with iron in the blood (including conditions that lead to iron building up in soft tissues, or problems with red blood cells).
- A stomach ulcer or other stomach or bowel problem.
- Had repeated blood transfusions in the past.
- Anaemia not related to low levels of iron before.
- Are currently having iron injections.
- Or are taking dimercaprol for metal poisoning.
Talk to your doctor if the intended user:
- Has a history of stomach ulcers.
- Has had part or all of the stomach removed.
- Has vitamin deficiency particularly vitamin B12 or folic acid.
- Is a male, as iron deficiency is less common in men than women, and the causes may need investigating further by the doctor.
Active Ingredients per 5ml: Ferrous fumarate 140mg (equivalent to 45mg of elemental iron).
Other ingredients: Aluminium Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Methyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E219), Sodium Ethyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E215), Sodium Propyl Parahydroxybenzoate, Citric Acid (E330), Liquid Maltitol, Chocolate and Peppermint Flavours and Purified Water.