Published: 1st November, 2019 in: Health
Bonjela offer products formulated to treat and relieve the pain of mouth ulcers. They also create products that are used to help with teething problems. Their product range includes Bonjela Adult, Bonjela Junior Gel, and Bonjela Soothing Teething Gel.
This article discusses everything you need to know about Bonjela’s most popular products to help you determine which is the most suitable for you to use.
What are mouth ulcers?
Mouth ulcers are a common condition that generally heal themselves within one or two weeks. Though they can cause discomfort, mouth ulcers are generally not serious and there are a range of products that could help to relieve your symptoms.
Taking care of your oral health can help reduce the possibility of mouth ulcers. It is recommended for people to maintain an oral hygiene routine, have a good diet, and make regular dentist visits to prevent problems in the mouth.
If you develop a mouth ulcer you can help to reduce symptoms by using soft-bristled toothbrushes, eating softer foods, and using products, such as Bonjela, that can help to relieve the pain of a mouth ulcer.
Bonjela Adult is a product for those who are over the age of 16; it is used to relieve the pain, discomfort and inflammation that is caused by common mouth ulcers and other conditions. This product can also be used to effectively relieve symptoms of discomfort caused by cold sores, dentures and sore spots.
It’s sugar free formulation has been developed to help fight simple and minor mouth infection whilst also supporting the relief of symptoms. The product consists of Cetalkonium Chloride, which is an antiseptic that assists in fighting infections, and Choline Salicylate, which helps to relieve symptoms of pain and inflammation caused by a mouth ulcer.
Bonjela Cool Mint Gel
Bonjela Cool Mint Gel has a sugar free, cool mint flavour formula for adults over the age of 16. The formula also provides pain relief from mouth ulcers within three minutes of use. The product offers a refreshing flavour while supporting the mouth in healing from an ulcer or cold sore.
Similar to Bojela Adult, the gel contains two key ingredients; Cetalkonium Chloride and Choline Salicylate. This special formula helps to fight and prevent infections.
Bonjela Junior Gel
This range is available to children over 5 months and adults. The gel’s ingredients include Lidocaine Hydrochloride (which is a local anaesthetic that can relieve pain) and Cetylpyridinium Chloride (which is an antiseptic that helps in the prevention of infections).
The gel has been formulated to relieve pain caused by mouth ulcers, and is also sugar-free. It has been given a banana flavour to make it more appealing for children over 5 months of age who may be using the product.
Bonjela Junior Gel is not suitable to use when infants are having teething problems. If you are searching for a product to help your infant, aged over 6 months, with teething issues then Bonjela Soothing Teething Gel is available. The teething gel is free of any local anaesthetics, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners.
Who can use Bonjela?
Bonjela is only suitable for certain people and conditions. You must always read the leaflet of any Bonjela product to see if it is the right product for you. If in any doubt, you should always ask your doctor or pharmacist.
You should not use Bonjela if you are:
- suffering from any peptic or stomach ulcers, liver problems or heart issues
- allergic to any product ingredients, salicylates, lidocaine or other local anaesthetics
- on any medication that can cause blood thinning, water retention or treating gout
- on any medication, even over the counter, without consulting your doctor or pharmacist first
- pregnant, could be pregnant, or breast feeding. You should speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are breastfeeding and want to use any Bonjela products
Why are some Bonjela products not suitable for under 16s?
Products including Bonjela, Bonjela Cool Mint Gel and Bonjela Complete Plus, are not suitable for use if a child is under 16 years of age. This is because one of the ingredients used within the formula of these products has been found to have a potential relation to salicylates and Reye's syndrome when given to children.
Reye's syndrome is a very rare disease that affects the brain and liver. It is a serious illness that can be fatal. That is why precautions are in place for those aged 16 and under 16s to not use products that contain ingredients that could have an association with Reye's syndrome.
Bonjela do offer a product range suitable for children over 5 months of age, check out Bonjela Junior Gel for further information.
How to apply Bonjela?
Each product has different directions for use that should be followed. Please refer to the leaflet included with your item, or the specific product page on our website, for further support. Alternatively, you can ask your doctor or pharmacist how to use Bonjela.
Bonjela Adult & Bonjela Cool Mint Gel
- Firstly, read the leaflet and label of your product
- Ensure the cap seal is not broken or open before use
- Wash your hands
- With a clean finger massage around half an inch (1cm) of the gel onto the affected area
- This process can be repeated following a 3 hour wait period
If you are using Bonjela Adult to relieve pain and discomfort caused by dentures:
- Read the leaflet and ensure the cap seal is not broken
- Wash your hands
- Apply the gel onto the sore area
- Leave the gel for a minimum of 30 minutes before putting your denture back on
- The gel should not be applied onto the dentures themselves
Bonjela Junior Gel
- Like all products, read the leaflet and label that comes with the product
- Check there is no damage to the cap seal and that it is unopened
- Wash your hands
- Using a clean finger, apply a small amount of the gel onto the affected area
- Carefully massage the area
- The application can be repeated every 3 hours if required
How to store Bonjela?
It is recommended to always keep Bonjela products out of sight and reach of children. They should also not be stored above 25°C. Check the leaflet that comes with your product for specific storage instructions.
Where to buy Bonjela?
Bonjela can be purchased online at affordable prices on Weldricks Pharmacy. Discover the range of products today!