Please note, due to unusually high demand, processing times for Veterinary Prescriptions is currently up to 5 working days.
Royal Mail are currently experiencing resourcing issues affecting deliveries in some areas. Click Here for more details
Celevac 500mg Tablets Pack of 112
Celevac 500mg Tablets Pack of 112
Weight: 175g (includes packaging)
Celevac Tablets stops diarrhoea fast and relieves diarrhoeal pain. It can also treat and relieve the symptoms of constipation.
When you are constipated, the stools become abnormally dry and hard and are painful and difficult to expell. Methylcellulose absorbs water so it helps to soften the stool, and as it swells up in the intestines it increases the volume of the intestinal contents. This stimulates the muscular movement of the gut, which helps to move the stools through the intestines. The full laxative effect of Celevac Tablets may take a few days to develop.
Since methylcellulose absorbs water in the gut, it can also be used to treat simple diarrhoea.
With its ability to treat constipation and diarrhoea, methylcellulose is also used to control the consistency of faeces in people with a colostomy or ileostomy.
Methylcellulose is also used to reduce appetite in obese people who are trying to lose weight. It is taken half an hour before each meal and when hunger pangs are severe. As it swells in the gut it gives a feeling of fullness that helps reduce food intake.
What is it used for?
Bowel movement disturbances
Controlling the consistency of faeces in people with a colostomy or ileostomy
Management of ulcerative colitis symptoms
Reducing appetite in the treatment of obesity
What is constipation?
A condition in which bowel emptying occurs infrequently
A condition in which the stools are hard and small
A condition where bowel movement causes difficulty or pain
How common is it?
Constipation is thought to affect a quarter of the population at some time.
Constipation is more common in the elderly because:
the power of the bowel muscles diminishes with age
they tend to take more medicines that have constipating side effects.
What are the symptoms of constipation?
Tummy pain associated with bowel movements.
A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowel.
A bloated feeling in the stomach region.
Diarrhoea: constipation is one of the most common causes of diarrhoea, especially in the elderly in care. Diarrhoea caused by constipation is known as bypass diarrhoea.
What are the main causes constipation?
Poor general health.
Immobility or an inactive lifestyle.
Insufficient fluid intake.
A diet low in fibre. Fibre retains fluid and makes the stools light and soft.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Inadequate toilet facilities.
If you have been prescribed Celevac tablets, take them exactly as your doctor has told you to. If not, follow the recommendations given below. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure. These tablets should be broken in the mouth before swallowing with liquid. It is important that you drink the right amount of liquid for your condition. Celevac tablets swell in contact with water and should be swallowed carefully. Do not take these tablets before going to bed.
The usual dose depends upon the condition you have, and you can increase or decrease the dose within the limits given below, until you are happy that your condition is under control.
- For simple constipation: take 3 to 6 tablets, two times a day with at least 300 ml (half a pint) of liquid. You may be able to reduce the dose as your bowels begin to work properly again.
- For the control of colostomy, ileostomy and simple diarrhoea: take 3 to 6 tablets, two times a day with as little liquid as possible. Do not drink for 30 minutes before and after taking the tablets.
- For the control of diverticular disease and ulcerative colitis: the usual dose is 3 to 6 tablets, twice a day, depending on the amount of constipation (drink 300 ml or half a pint of liquid), diarrhoea (with a little drink) or pain.
- For appetite control and the treatment of obesity: take 3 tablets with at least 300 ml (half a pint) of warm liquid 30 minutes before each meal and between meals when the feeling of hunger is severe.
This medicine should not be taken shortly before going to bed.
- When taking this medicine to treat diarrhoea, avoid drinking fluids for 30 minutes before and after each dose. This is also the case when taking this medicine for colostomy or ileostomy control.
- When taking this medicine to treat constipation or reduce appetite, each dose should be taken with at least 300ml of liquid.
You should carefully read all product packaging and labels prior to use
Lactose monohydrate, Saccharin sodium, Povidone, Erythrosine (E127), Strawberry flavour 52.318 AP, Talc, Magnesium stearate.