Maloff Protect 250mg/100mg Tablets Pack of 36
£59.79 Save: £10.41 RRP: £70.20
Weight: 120g (includes packaging)
Maloff Protect 250mg/100mg Tablets Pack of 36
Maloff Protect belongs to a group of medicines called antimalarials. It contains two active ingredients, Atovaquone and Proguanil Hydrochloride.
Maloff Protect is used to prevent Malaria in adults aged 18 and over, unless prescribed by a doctor.
Malaria is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito, which passes the Malaria parasite (Plasmodium Falciparum) into the bloodstream. Maloff Protect prevents Malaria by killing this parasite.
As well as taking Maloff Protect, it is very important that you also take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. The following bite avoidance measures should be used in combination for maximum effectiveness:
- Use insect repellent on exposed areas of the skin
- Wear clothing that covers most of the body, especially after sunset as this is the time when mosquitoes are most active
- Sleep in a room with screened windows and doors or under a mosquito net (it is preferable to sleep under a mosquito net treated with insecticide if possible)
- Close windows and doors at sunset, if they are not screened
- Sleep in a room with air-conditioning or a fan, as mosquitoes are less active in cooler temperatures
- Consider using an insecticide (mats, spray, plug-ins) to clear a room of insects or to stop mosquitoes from entering the room
One tablet daily with food or a milky drink at the same time each day.
Commence 1 - 2 days prior to entering malaria-endemic area, continue for the duration of the stay plus seven days after leaving the area.
If you are sick (vomit) within one hour of taking your Maloff Protect tablet, take another dose straight away.
The maximum duration of travel for which Maloff Protect can be supplied without prescription is 12 weeks (93 tablets).
For longer durations of travel, advice should be sought from a doctor or other qualified prescriber.
|Days in Malaria Area||Total Number of Tablets||Recommended Pack Size|
|7 (1 weeks)||16||1 x 24|
|14 (2 weeks)||23||1 x 24|
|21 (3 weeks)||30||1 x 36|
|28 (4 weeks)||37||2 x 24|
|42 (6 weeks)||51||1 x 36, 1 x 24|
|56 (8 weeks)||65||2 x 36|
|84 (12 weeks)||93||2 x 36, 1 x 24|
Do not take Maloff Protect if you:
- are allergic to atovaquone and/or proguanil hydrochloride or any of the ingredients of this medicine
- have kidney disease
- have liver disease
Do not take Maloff Protect unless it has been prescribed for you by a doctor or other qualified prescriber if you:
- are breastfeeding, pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- are under 18 years old or weigh less than 40kg
- have ever had epilepsy, convulsions or fits
- suffer from depression
- have tuberculosis
Do not take Maloff Protect if you are already taking any of the following medicines:
- etoposide, used to treat cancer
- metoclopramide, used to treat nausea and vomiting
- the antibiotics tetracycline, rifampicin or rifabutin
- indinavir, efavirenz, zidovudine or certain medicines called protease inhibitors, used to treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- warfarin, other coumarin based anticoagulants, or new oral anticoagulants (NOACs) such as dabigatran etexilate, rivaroxaban, and apixaban
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Warnings and precautions:
- If you are sick (vomit) within one hour of taking your Maloff Protect tablet, take another dose straight away. If you don’t start vomiting until more than one hour after taking Maloff Protect, do not take another Maloff Protect tablet until your next dose is due, as it is likely that Maloff Protect will already be in your system
- It is very important to take the full course of Maloff Protect. If you have to take extra tablets due to sickness, you may need to get some more
- If you have been vomiting or have diarrhoea, it is especially important to use extra bite prevention, such as repellents and bed nets. The Maloff Protect you have taken may not be as effective because you may absorb less than you need
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have taken any medicines to prevent or treat malaria before and they have not worked or if you have had an allergic reaction to them. Maloff Protect may not be suitable for you.
Active ingredients: Atovaquone 250mg, Proguanil 100mg.
The other ingredients are:
Core: Poloxamer 188, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Low-substituted Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Povidone K30, Sodium Starch Glycolate Type A, Silica Colloidal anhydrous, Magnesium Stearate.
Coating: Hypromellose, Titanium Dioxide (E171), Iron Oxide Red (E172), Macrogol 400, Macrogol 8000.