Numark Diarrhoea Relief Capsules Pack of 12
£1.09 Save: £0.41 RRP: £1.50
This product is typically dispatched within 1-3 working days from date of order when using our standard delivery or 48 Hour Tracked and Signed service.
Weight: 30g (includes packaging)
Numark Diarrhoea Relief Capsules Pack of 12
Loperamide hydrochloride capsules contain the active ingredient loperamide hydrochloride. Loperamide belongs to a group of medicines called ’antidiarrhoeals’ which are used to treat diarrhoea.
Loperamide is used to treat sudden acute cases of diarrhoea in adults and children over 12 years of age. It reduces diarrhoea by slowing down an overactive bowel. It also helps the body to absorb more water and salts from the bowel.
For oral use. Swallow whole with a drink of water.
|Age||What for||How many||How often|
|Adults and children of 12 years and over||Short term Diarrhoea||Two capsules to start with. After that, take one capsule after each loose bowel movement.||Don't take more than 6 capsules in any 24 hours.
Don't take for more than 24 hours.
|Adults only (18 years and over)||Diarrhoea associated with irritable bowel syndrome, which has been diagnosed by a doctor||Two capsules to start with. After that, take one capsule as needed until stools become solid.||Don't take more than 6 capsules in any 24 hours.
Don't take for more than 14 days.
Do not take Loperamide Capsules if:
- you are allergic to loperamide or any of the other ingredients
- you need to keep the bowel movements normal to avoid complications such as blockage of the bowel and abnormal or rapid widening of the colon
- you have constipation, blockage of the bowel or a bloated tummy (in particular, in children with severe dehydration). Symptoms of dehydration may include drowsiness, passing little urine, dry mouth/tongue, unresponsiveness or glazed eyes)
- you have inflammation or irritation of the bowel e.g. diverticulosis, colitis or bacterial enterocolitis caused by Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter (symptoms may include watery or bloody diarrhoea)
- you have symptoms of dysentery, which may include blood in your stools and a high temperature
- you have irritable bowel syndrome
These capsules should not be given to children under 12 years of age.
Take special care if:
- you have or think you may have lost body fluids and salts through diarrhoea. Particularly important for children and frail or elderly patients with severe diarrhoea
- you have liver disease
- you have inflammatory bowel disease
- you have AIDS. You must stop taking loperamide at the earliest signs of abnormal distension.
Since persistent diarrhoea can be an indicator of potentially more serious conditions, loperamide should not be used for prolonged periods of time.
You should consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking loperamide as it may cause side effects.
If any of the above apply to you, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Loperamide may interact with other medicines. If you are taking other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription and you are unsure about taking loperamide, you should contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In particular you should tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following:
- co-trimoxazole, an antibiotic, used in the treatment of bacterial infections such as chronic bronchitis
- quinidine, used in the treatment of an abnormal heart beat
- ritonavir, used in the treatment of HIV infection and AIDS
- oral desmopressin, used in the treatment of diabetes and bedwetting.
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, do not take Loperamide Capsules. It is not known if it safe to take. If you are breast−feeding, you should consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking, as small amounts of this medicine may get into your breast milk.
This medicine may make you feel tired, dizzy or drowsy.
If affected, do not drive or operate machinery or take part in activities where such effects could put yourself or others at risk.
This product contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.
Like all medicines Loperamide Capsules can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking your medicine and contact your doctor immediately or nearest hospital if you experience the following (very rare side effects):
- Allergic reactions which can produce swelling of the face, eyes, tongue and/or lips, difficulty breathing and/or swallowing or itching
- Severe skin rashes including blistering of skin, mouth, eyes and genitals
- Severe tummy pains with bloating/swelling or increasing diarrhoea particularly if this contains blood
Frequent side effects of diarrhoea
- being sick (vomiting)
- stomach cramps
- feeling sick (nausea)
- stomach pains
- flatulence (passing wind)
- urinary retention (unable to pass urine)
- skin lesions
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (serious illness with blistering of the skin, mouth, eyes and genitals)
- toxic epidermal necrolysis (serious illness with blistering of the skin)
- necrotising enterocolitis (serious inflammation of the bowel)
- megacolon including toxic megacolon (abnormal enlargement of the intestines)
- dry mouth
Side effects reported with greater frequency
If any of the side effects listed become serious or you notice any side effects not listed, please contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Store in the original container in order to protect from moisture.
Do not use these capsules after the expiry date shown on the outside packaging.
Return all unused medicines to your pharmacist for safe disposal.
Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg, Lactose, Maize Starch, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Gelatin, Quinoline Yellow (E104), Erythrosine (E127), Patent Blue (E131) and Titanium Dioxide (E171).