Please note, due to unusually high demand, processing times for Veterinary Prescriptions is currently up to 5 working days.
Royal Mail are currently experiencing resourcing issues affecting deliveries in some areas. Click Here for more details
Moviprep - Everything You Need To Know
What is Moviprep?
Moviprep is a laxative contained in a sachet which comes in two flavours; the original Moviprep is lemon flavoured but you can also buy orange flavoured sachets. These laxative sachets are used to thoroughly cleanse your colon and rectum for effective preparation for procedures such as colonoscopies. Moviprep increases the amount of water in the intestinal tract to stimulate bowel movements. It contains potassium, sodium, and other minerals to replace the electrolytes that are passed from the body in your stool.
How to take Moviprep
To prepare Moviprep open one clear bag and remove sachets A and B. Add the contents of BOTH sachets A and b to a measuring jug that holds 1 litre of liquid. Add water up to the 1 litre mark of the container and stir until all the powder has dissolved and the Moviprep solution is clear, or slightly hazy (this may take up to 5 minutes).
Drink the first 1 litre of Moviprep solution over 1-2 hours, try to drink a glassful ever 10-15 minutes. When you are ready, make up and drink the second litre of Moviprep solution, made up with the contents of sachets A and B from the remaining bag. During the course of this treatment you are recommended to drink a further 1 litre of clear liquid to prevent you feeling very thirsty and becoming dehydrated. Water, clear soup, fruit juice (without pulp), soft drinks, tea or coffee (without milk) are all suitable. These drinks can be taken at any time you choose.
When you start drinking Moviprep solution it is important that you stay close to a toilet as, at some point, you will start to experience watery bowel movements. This is quite normal and indicates that the Moviprep solution is working. These bowel movements will stop soon after you have finished drinking.
What to avoid
There is no data on the use of Moviprep during pregnancy or breast-feeding, and it should only be used if considered essential by your doctor. If you are pregnant, breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine.
Do not take Moviprep if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to the active substances or any of the other ingredients in this medicine.
- You have an obstruction in your intestine (gut).
- You have a perforated gut wall.
- You have a disorder of stomach emptying.
- You have paralysis of the gut (often occurs after an operation to the abdomen).
- You suffer from phenylketonuria. This is a hereditary inability of the body to use a particular amino acid. Moviprep contains a source of phenylalanine.
- Your body is unable to produce enough glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
- You have toxis megacolon (a severe complication of acute colitis).
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Movicol if you have any of the following:
- You need to thicken fluids in order to swallow them safely.
- A tendency to regurgitate swallowed drink, food, or acid from the stomach.
- Kidney disease.
- Heart failure or heart disease including high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, or palpitations.
- Thyroid disease.
- Acute flare of inflammatory bowel disease (Chron's disease or ulcerative colitis)
If you are in poor health or have a serious medical condition, you should be particularly aware of the possible side effects listed in your product informational leaflet, found in the box alongside the product. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you are concerned.
Moviprep should not be taken by children and adolescents aged below 18 years.
It is always recommended that you read the product informational leaflet before taking Moviprep, this can be found alongside the product in the box.