Thixo D Original 375g
Thixo D Original 375g
£8.99 Save: £1.00 RRP: £9.99
This product is typically dispatched within 3-5 working days from date of order and is not suitable for our next day delivery service.
Brand: Thixo D
Thixo-D Original is a modified maize starch used as an instant food and drink thickener. It is a coarse off-white powder. The product is readily dispersible in most hot and cold food or drinks without causing lumping and remains stable for both freezing and microwaving. It helps support hydration and nutrition levels for people with swallowing difficulties (dysphagia). THIXO-D Original helps reduce the risk of aspiration where food and drink can enter the airway.
Thixo-D Original is ideally suited for patients with dysphagia as it helps them eat and drink safely. This condition can be caused by Strokes and may occur in people with Parkinson’s Disease, Dementia, Motor Neurone Disease, Cerebral Palsy or head and neck cancers.
- Thixo-D Original will rapidly thicken most liquids and foods such as pureed apple, mashed potato, pureed vegetables, gravy, water, fruit juices, milk, tea, coffee, soups, sauces and desserts.
- It works regardless of the pH level, although it performs particularly well with acidic drinks such as orange juice and other fruit juices.
- It does not mask flavour or leave an aftertaste.
- Different food textures can affect the thickening process; for example oil-based foods may take longer to thicken so take extra care when mixing these.
- Thixo-D Original dissolves with stirring within a short time to give any thickness required. No blender is needed, so drinks can be easily prepared either in the ward or at home with minimum effort or delay.
- Thickened food and drink can be re-heated in a microwave or frozen for future use, to reduce wastage.
Thixo-D Original is a gluten-free, lactose-free and non-GM carbohydrate. It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans and has been approved by the Vegetarian Society.
Thixo-D Original provides a source of additional calories to help prevent malnutrition.
Thixo-D Original is fully metabolised and the water associated with it becomes part of the patient’s total fluid intake; this can be a significant consideration if there is a possibility of the patient becoming dehydrated.
|of which sugars, g||0-2 max|
|of which sugars, g||0.1|
For the actual amount of starch to be used for thickening it is best to be guided by the recommendations of a Clinician, Dietitian or Speech and Language Therapist. If no specific guidelines have been given, then the suggestions made in the table below may be helpful.
Please use the blue 15ml scoop provided in each tub of Thixo-D Original to add the required amount of thickener. If the thickness of the drink is not adequate (after 2 or 3 minutes of thickening time) more Thixo-D Original or liquid may be added to adjust it.
How to Mix Thixo-D Original
- Fill a glass/cup with a drink and allow enough space to add THIXO-D® Original and to stir the drink.
- Begin to stir the drink, using a teaspoon fork or whisk; there is no need to use a blender or hand mixer. Slowly sprinkle the required amount of Thixo-D Original onto the moving liquid.
- Squeeze any bubbles of Thixo-D Original that form with stirrer while continuing to stir.
- Once the Thixo-D Original powder has been fully mixed allow to stand for 2-3 minutes in order for drink to achieve full thickness.
|Measure||Fluid Consistency* (No. Of Scoops)|
|Typical Container||Volume of drink||Syrup BDA Stage 1||Custard BDA Stage 2||Pudding BDA Stage 3|
|Small Glass or Cup||170ml (6 fl oz)||1 heaped scoop (7g)||2 level scoops (10g)||2.5 level scoops (12.5g)|
|Tumbler||200ml (7 fl oz)||2 level scoops (10g)||2.5 level scoops (12.5g)||3 level scoops (15g)|
|Half-pint Mug||280ml (10 fl oz)||2 heaped scoops (14g)||3.5 level scoops (17.5g)||4 level scoops (20g)|
|*Based on British Dietetics Association’s (BDA) National
Descriptors for Texture Modification in Adults
How to Thicken the Following Products:
Sprinkle the Thixo-D Original on top of the food, stir in well. It will take 2-3 minutes to reach full thickness. The product gives texture to liquidised and pureed food. Food moulds can be used to help produce palatable meals with a similar appearance to food which has not been texture-modified.
Chilled milk and fortified drinks:
To thicken these products it is best to make a very thick paste with water and Thixo-D Original (ie; 1 heaped scoop in not more than 50ml (2 fl oz) water) and then gradually stir in the drink, leaving time for he bubbles to disappear. Fortified drinks are particularly difficult to thicken, so extra care should be taken.
Powdered milk and infant formula:
There are 2 effective methods of thickening powdered milks:
- Make up Thixo-D Original with th full amount of water and then stir in the powdered milk.
- Dry mix the powdered milk and Thixo-D Original together and then stir the mixture into the water.
Tea and Coffee:
Allow hot liquids to cool slightly before adding Thixo-D Original. Sugar should be added before thickening although sweetener can perform better than sugar when used with Thixo-D Original. Milk can be added either before or after thickening.
Due to the high energy value of the carbohydrate in Thixo-D Original and because starches are also generally considered to provide little or no nutritional value in terms of calcium, iron, vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin or vitamin C it should not be prescribed to very young children (under 1’s).
The modification used to produce the starch Thixo-D Original has received the highest ruling by both the U.K. Committee on Toxicity (“Group A”) and the EC Scientific Committee for Foods (“ADI not specified”).
The only restriction that has been placed on the use of this type of modified starch is the proposal to set a maximum level of 5% in foods intended specifically for infants and young children. Due to the wide range of possible applications, the suitability of Thixo-D Original for any specific purpose must ultimately be decided by the user.
Thixo-D Original is packed in tamper-evident, resealable tub containing 375g, 10 tubs are packed in a case. Each tub has a 15ml blue scoop enclosed inside.
Store at room temperature
Re-seal and store in dry conditions at room temperature for up to 6 weeks
Mixed with Foods: Treat in similar manner to non-thickened foods
Used in drinks: At room temperature - maximum 2 hours chilled (4°C) - maximum 24 hours
Spillage: A dry method of cleaning up should be used, such as brush or vacuum cleaner. Removal will be made more difficult if water is used as the starch will rehydrate to form a gel.
If Thixo-D Original comes into contact with the eyes it should be flushed out with plenty of water.
Modified maize starch and Xanthan gum.