Please note, due to unusually high demand, processing times for Veterinary Prescriptions is currently up to 5 working days.
Royal Mail are currently experiencing resourcing issues affecting deliveries in some areas. Click Here for more details
Bad Breath: Causes and Treatment
Published: 25th February, 2020 in: Health Advice
Bad breath, also known as Halitosis, is something most of us will suffer with from time to time. There are an abundance of different reasons your breath may not be as fresh as you’d like, however, there are many products on offer to help you with your bad breath troubles! Our guide looks at the various reasons for bad breath and the products designed to help in order to help you find the best product for you.
Bad Breath Causes
- Medical Conditions - Certain medical conditions can cause bad breath, such as tonsillitis or acid reflux. Much of the time this is because of the bacteria associated with many medical conditions.
- Food and Drink - Your breath is influenced by your diet. If you eat or drink foods with a strong smell then your breath can mimic this scent. You often hear people saying they can ‘smell drunkness’, well the reason for this is that some alcohols leave a strong smell to your breath. Other main culprits include garlic, onion or acidic foods, as bacteria can thrive within an acidic environment.
- Dental Problems - Dental problems with your teeth and gums can also cause bad breath. This is because gum disease or infections can cause smells. As these conditions are oral, your breath can therefore become affected by the smell.
- Dieting - Crash dieting can also have an effect on your breath. If you have not eaten enough or are eating low carbohydrates, the breaking down of fats produces chemicals called ketones. Ketones have a strong smell which can then be reflected in your breath.
- Smoking - There are many ways that smoking damages your health; bad breath is just one common side effect of the habit. Often dubbed ‘smokers breath’ or ‘cigarette breath’, it is caused by the strong smell of the cigarette ingredients, such as tobacco. Smoking also makes you more vulnerable to gum disease and dental issues, which can be a causing factor of bad breath themselves.
Bad Breath in Children
Halitosis is very common in children and some leading causes include poor oral and dental hygiene. Making sure our children floss, brush their teeth accurately and visit the dentist regularly will help to prevent bad breath problems in children. Dentists can also spot the early signs of gum disease and oral infections, which often cause bad breath as a symptom. They can then offer professional advice and treatment to help the child keep both their oral hygiene and health at its best.
Bad Breath Treatment
From floss and chewing gum to mouth wash, discover some of the helpful products on the market to keep your breath in check. There are simple oral hygiene tips you can follow to keep your breath smelling fresh and healthy.
- Brush your teeth regularly and correctly - As basic as this sounds, the importance of brushing your teeth twice a day, using the right technique, can have a great effect on your breath. Most people do not brush for the required amount of time to actually fully clean the teeth. The NHS recommends brushing your teeth for around two minutes to remove plaque (a bacteria that coats your teeth).
- Choose the right toothpaste - There are endless options when it comes to toothpaste flavour from the classic mint to cinnamon. Making sure you choose a strong and high quality toothpaste can make your breath smell nice. Mint is the go-to for anyone wanting long lasting freshness - some popular products include colgate toothpaste and Oral-B.
- Floss your teeth - When you use dental floss you remove plaque from your teeth and prevent plaque buildup. Plaque buildup can lead to gum disease and tooth decay when not removed regularly, therefore adding dental floss to your oral hygiene routine will help keep your mouth healthy, minimising bad breath.
- Visit the dentist - Bad breath can be a symptom of oral and medical conditions. By visiting the dentist for regular check-ups and hygiene appointments, you are minimising the risk of these going unnoticed. Dental professionals can spot the early signs of medical conditions, such as gum disease, and help get early treatment for you before it develops further.
Toothpaste for bad breath
Choosing a mint flavoured toothpaste could help to mask bad breath, giving it a more cool mint scent. Oral-B Pro Expert Professional Protection Clean Mint Toothpaste targets and protects against various dental issues it finds in your mouth including cavities, plaque, gum problems, sensitivity, stains, bad breath, tartar and enamel erosion.
Aloe Dent Triple Action Non Fluoride Toothpaste also offers protection against plaque, tartar, cavities, bad breath and gum disease, while having a cool mintiness which will leave your mouth feeling clean and ready for the day ahead.
Another popular product is Colgate Total Active Fresh Toothpaste. Colgate is a leading oral hygiene brand and has developed this toothpaste with a unique formula that helps fight bacteria on your teeth, tongue, cheeks and gums for 12 hours. As bacteria is a cause for bad breath, Colgate Total Active Fresh leaves you with long lasting, minty cool breath.
Mouthwash for bad breath
Using mouthwash for its intended purpose can also help with your breath and oral hygiene. Mouthwash that contains fluoride can help in preventing tooth decay, when used correctly. Mouthwash should not be used immediately after brushing your teeth as this could reverse the benefits of the brushing, as it will wash away the helpful ingredients of the toothpaste left on your teeth. A good time to use mouthwash is after eating lunch or dinner. You should always read the instructions of use for your chosen mouthwash and do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after using a fluoride mouthwash.
Colgate Total Mouthrinse Peppermint Blast has been designed to use Advanced Pro Guard technology to protect against germs for 12 hours, even after eating and drinking. It also fights bad breath while targeting tartar, gum problems and cavities, making it a great addition to your care routine.
Listerine Original Mouthwash and Listerine Freshburst Mouthwash are also popular products for giving your breath that boast of freshness. These products can be used daily and offer 24 hour protection after just a 30 second rinse. Reducing plaque buildup by over 50% more than brushing alone and killing bacteria, Listerine makes a nice addition to your daily care routine.
This may be one of the more underrated ways to keep your mouth healthy and tackling bad breath. Flossing can help in removing plaque and food build-up between the teeth. Flossing after a meal will also remove food build-up immediately, helping prevent bad breath.
Oral B Essential Floss Unwaxed is one product that can reach those tighter areas which your toothbrush can miss. It has a polymer coating and specially designed filament to make it easier to floss. Oral-B Superfloss products also help improve your oral hygiene. It has three components including a stiffened-end dental floss threader, a spongy floss and a regular floss making them ideal for dental flossing. They can help remove plaque from wide and small areas of your teeth and gums helping prevent the development of oral diseases which could cause bad breath as well as other dental issues. The Oral-B Superfloss mint product refreshes your breath with a classic mint scent.
UltraDEX Oral Products
UltraDEX offers a range of products to help you maintain good oral hygiene. The technology used by UltraDEX is clinically proven to instantly eliminate bad breath compounds giving you 12 hour fresh breath confidence. Their range includes mouthwashes, interdental toothbrushes, toothpastes (including low-abrasion and teeth whitening toothpastes), and more.
UltraDEX Fresh Breath Spray is perfect for people wanting a quick boost of fresh breath. It uses advanced technology which has been clinically proven to restore fresh breath, eliminate bad breath components for up to 12 hours of fresh breath, and remove bacteria from teeth, and gums.
CB12 have formulated the Safe Breath Oral Rinse Menthol product which uses an innovative formula which neutralises and prevents the substances that cause bad breath. CB12 provides long-lasting results for 12 hours and their products contain fluoride which has been found to have a number of benefits including helping to prevent tooth decay (also known as caries). CB12 Strong Mint Chewing Gum is sugar free and designed to tackle bad breath. This chewing gum is a good choice for those wanting a very quick and easy way to refresh their breath for the rest of the day ahead.
Check out more of Weldrick’s Dental Health products from electric toothbrushes to mouthwash for affordable products that can be delivered right to your doorstep.