Canesten Oral Capsule 150mg
Canesten Oral capsule is an effective single dose treatment for vaginal thrush. The active ingredient Fluconazole is an antifungal agent which fights the Candida yeast infection caused by thrush.
£7.99 Save: £2.86 RRP: £10.85
- This product is limited to 2 per order, if you wish to order more please contact the pharmacy team/customer services.
This product is typically dispatched within 1-3 working days from date of order when using our standard delivery or 48 Hour Tracked and Signed service.
Weight: 30g (includes packaging)
Canesten Oral capsule is an effective single dose treatment for vaginal thrush. The active substance in Canesten Oral Capsule is fluconazole. Fluconazole belongs to a group of medicines called azoles and is an antifungal agent which fights the cause of infections such as thrush.
It can also be used to treat your partner if he is suffering from thrush on the penis. Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water (with or without food).
What is Thrush?
Thrush is an infection caused by a yeast called Candida. This yeast normally lives in your body quite happily without doing you any harm. But when the natural pH balance of your vagina is upset - which can easily happen - Candida can multiply. And that's when you may start to itch and develop thrush.
Who gets Thrush?
Don't worry or be embarrassed about having thrush, as thrush is much more common than you might think - 3 out of 4 women have it at some point in their lives, especially if they are under the age of 20 or pregnant, and it is commonly suffered around the time of a period.
Men are not immune. They can get thrush too, though only a few develop the rash and itchiness. Most male sufferers act as carriers, without actually having the symptoms. To help prevent re-infection, make sure your partner uses Canesten Thrush Cream as well as you.
How does the infection occur?
Normally, there is a delicate balance between bacteria and yeasts that live naturally within the vagina. However, this balance is easily upset by any of the following factors which could allow the yeasts to overgrow, leading to thrush infection:
- Intake of medicines such as antibiotics
- Trauma of sexual activity or tampons
- Perfumed soap, shower gels and bubble baths
- Wearing tight clothing
It is important to treat thrush during pregnancy, as evidence shows that it could be passed onto your baby (in the form of oral thrush or other fungal infections) through your birth canal when giving birth. If you are pregnant and think you may have thrush, please visit your doctor.
What are the symptoms of Thrush?
The main symptom - and by far the most irritating - is the itching. You may also feel a burning soreness and this can be accompanied by a whitish odourless discharge.
Though very uncomfortable, these symptoms can be sorted out quickly and easily, by treating at the site of infection as well as soothing the irritation.
Most women seek help for relief of external itching. However, it is important that the infection is treated internally as well as externally, to prevent symptoms from returning.
Further information can be found by clicking the following link:
If Canesten Oral Capsule has been prescribed for you by your doctor, follow any instructions he/she may have given you.
The full course of treatment consists of a single Canesten Oral Capsule. The capsule is to treat thrush at the site of infection and should be swallowed whole with a glass of water (with or without food).
The symptoms of thrush should disappear within two days of treatment. If no improvement is seen after seven days, you must tell your doctor. If the infection returns after seven days another capsule may be taken but if you have more than two infections within six months you should see your doctor.
Do not use Canesten Oral Capsule:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to fluconazole or any of the other ingredients of Canesten Oral Capsule.
- If you are taking the antihistamine terfenadine or the medicine cisapride.
If you have any of the following symptoms do not use Canesten Oral Capsule and see your doctor as soon as possible:
- Irregular vaginal bleeding.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge.
- Ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Pain or difficulty in passing urine.
- Fever or chills.
- Feeling sick or vomiting.
- A foul smelling discharge from the vagina.
Do not use Canesten Oral Capsule without talking to your doctor first if:
- Your sexual partner does not have thrush.
- You have sores, ulcers or blisters on your penis.
- You have an abnormal discharge from your penis.
- Your penis has started to smell.
- You have pain or difficulty in passing urine.
This is because Canesten Oral Capsule may not be the right treatment for you.
Before using Canesten Oral Capsule, you should see your doctor if:
- You are unsure whether you have thrush or this is the first time you have had these symptoms.
- You have had more than two infections of thrush in the last six months.
- You or your partner have ever had a sexually transmitted disease.
- You are aged under 16 or over 60.
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to fluconazole or any other vaginal antifungal products.
- You have had any disease or illness affecting the liver or kidneys, or have had any unexplained jaundice.
- You suffer from any other chronic disease or illness.
The capsule contains lactose monohydrate, so if you have an intolerance to some sugars contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Do not use Canesten Oral Capsule if you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding. See your doctor for a suitable course of treatment.
Fluconazole at a strength of 150mg, colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, maize starch and sodium lauryl sulphate. The capsule shell contains brilliant blue FCF (E133), titanium dioxide (E171) and gelatine. The printing ink contains shellac, black iron oxide (E172) and propylene glycol.