Ferrograd C Filmtabs Blister Pack of 30
Ferrograd C tablets are a supplement to treat iron deficiency anaemia. They contain ferrous sulphate, which is a form of iron, and vitamin C to promote iron absorption.
- Delivery options for this product have been restricted. More details about the delivery options available will appear if you add this product to your basket.
This product is typically dispatched within 1-3 working days from date of order when using our standard delivery or 48 Hour Tracked and Signed service.
Weight: 50g (includes packaging)
How do Ferrograd C Tablets work?
Ferrograd C tablets contain two active ingredients; ferrous sulphate, which is a form of iron and ascorbic acid, which is vitamin C.
Iron plays a vital role in production of haemoglobin, which is the oxygen-transporting substance found in red blood cells. If the diet does not contain enough iron, the body cannot make enough new red blood cells. This results in iron deficiency anaemia, with symptoms such as tiredness, palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness and fainting.
To treat iron deficiency anaemia, iron supplements such as this one are needed. The increased iron intake allows the body to increase its production of red blood cells.
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is a powerful antioxidant that can be obtained through the diet from citrus fruit and some vegetables. It is used by the body to link together structural proteins called collagen, which provides support to the cells in the body. When there is not enough vitamin C in the body collagen cannot be renewed, therefore minor damage to any part of the body cannot be repaired. This leads to poor healing, and ultimately to the disease known as scurvy. Vitamin C is given as a supplement where there is a deficiency.
Vitamin C is also essential in enhancing iron absorption from the gut and promoting the effectiveness of this iron supplement.
Ferrograd C tablets are a 'modified-release' form of ferrous sulphate and vitamin C. They are designed to release the medicine slowly over the day as the tablet passes through the gut. This may help to reduce the digestive side effects that can sometimes be a problem with iron supplements. However, if side effects are reduced compared to other iron tablets this may be because less iron is being absorbed, because Ferrograd C tablets carry the iron into an area of the gut where absorption may be poor.
What is it used for?
Preventing and treating iron deficiency anaemia in people who also have a vitamin C deficiency.
One Ferrograd C tablet should be taken once a day, or as directed by your doctor. The medicine should be taken before food on an empty stomach. However, if the tablets upset your stomach, then you may take them with or after food.
The tablets should be swallowed whole and not chewed or broken.
The absorption of iron may be reduced by tea, coffee, eggs and milk. You should avoid consuming these at the same time as taking Ferrograd C tablets.
This medicine may discolour the stools black or darker than usual. This is normal and not harmful.
This medicine contains iron and so should be kept well out of the sight and reach of children, as iron overdose can be fatal in children.
This medicine may give a false negative result with the clinistix test for the presence of sugar in the urine.
This medicine may interfere with tests used for the detection of visibly inapparent (occult) blood in the stools.
Not to be used in:
- People with anaemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anaemia).
- People with anaemia due to folic acid deficiency.
- Genetic disease resulting in too much iron storage in the tissues (haemochromatosis).
- People with a disorder that affects storage of iron in the body (haemosiderosis).
- People with a condition where there is sudden loss of haemoglobin (oxygen carrying protein in the blood) in the urine at night (paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria).
- People with other disorders involving haemoglobin, such as sickle cell anaemia or thalassaemia.
- People receiving repeated blood transfusions.
- People with an active peptic ulcer.
- Inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
- Children under 12 years old.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
This medicine is safe to take during pregnancy. However, you should check with your doctor or midwife if it is necessary for you to take an iron supplement during your pregnancy. Not all pregnant women need to take supplements; you may be getting enough nutrients from your diet.
There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used by breastfeeding mothers.
This medication is to be swallowed whole, not chewed.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Abdominal pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Darkening of stools.
If you get an upset stomach after taking these tablets on an empty stomach this may be helped by taking the tablets with food.
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the medicine's manufacturer.
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
It is important to tell your doctor what medicines you are taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with this medicine. Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medicines while taking this one, to make sure that the combination is safe.
Iron supplements can affect the absorption of a number of medicines from the gut, which can make these medicines less effective. For this reason, it is recommended that iron supplements are taken at least two hours before or two hours after other medicines, in order to minimise this effect. The medicines for which this is most important are listed below:
- bisphosphonates, eg alendronate
- methyldopa (iron tablets may also reduce the blood pressure lowering effect of methyldopa)
- quinolone-type antibiotics, eg ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, levofloxacin
- tetracycline-type antibiotics, eg oxytetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline (these antibiotics also reduce the absorption of the iron supplements from the gut).
- Zinc and calcium supplements reduce the absorption of iron supplements. Separate the medicines by at least two hours.
- Antacids for heartburn or indigestion, such as magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide, aluminium hydroxide and calcium carbonate may decrease the absorption of iron from the gut and thereby make the supplements less effective. Separate the medicines by at least two hours.
- Trientene, used to treat Wilson's disease, also reduces the absorption of iron supplements from the gut, making them less effective unless the doses are separated by at least two hours.
- Milk, milk-containing products, tea, coffee and eggs, may decrease iron absorption from the gut, while vitamin C (ascorbic acid) increases it.
Ferrograd C tablets contain:- Dried ferrous sulphate 325mg (equivalent to 105mg elemental iron) in a prolonged release formulation and Vitamin C (equivalent to 500mg Ascorbic acid) Ferrograd C also contain methylacrylate, copolymer, magnesium stearate, ethylcellulose, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, titanium dioxide and dye Red Ponceau 4R Lake (E124)