Do not take this medicine for more than seven days. You should drink plenty of fluids while you are taking this medicine.
Consult your doctor if you do not have a bowel movement or your symptoms do not improve after three days, or if they get worse during treatment with this medicine.
This medicine may not be suitable for everyone and some people must never have it.
Always get advice from a healthcare professional before taking this medicine if:
- you are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine
- this medicine is for a child under 12 years of age
- you have persistent stomach pain or discomfort
- you have abdominal problems that have come on suddenly and have not been diagnosed by a doctor
- you have nausea
- you are vomiting
- you have an obstruction in the gut
- you have recently had bowel surgery
- you have an ileostomy or colostomy
- you have gastrointestinal bleeding
- you need to take a laxative every day
If you are taking more than one medicine they may interact with each other. This medicine is unlikely to have any important interactions. But speak to your pharmacist or doctor if you get any unusual symptoms while taking this medicine with other medicines.
Most medicines can cause some side-effects but not everyone having the same medicine will get the same side-effects.
The following side-effects have been associated with people taking this medicine:
- watery diarrhoea with excessive loss of fluid and electrolytes and muscular weakness - these may happen if you take this medicine for a long period of time
- malabsorption and bowel problems
- heart problems
- kidney problems
- red or yellow colouration of the faeces and urine
- griping pains
If you are trying to become pregnant, are pregnant, or are breast-feeding, you should seek medical advice before taking this medicine.
If you are in any doubt about whether this medicine is suitable for you, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
This medicine should not be used excessively or for long periods of time as your bowels become used to the effect of the laxative.
This medicine usually takes between 8-12 hours to have an effect. It is best to take this medicine at night for relief of constipation the following morning.
Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children.