Movicol Plain Powder Sachets Pack of 30
Movicol powder is used to relieve:
- Chronic constipation.
- Build up of compressed and hardened stools (faeces) in the rectum as a result of chronic constipation (faecal impaction).
Containing macrogol (polyethylene glycol), which is a type of medicine known as an osmotic laxative, each Movicol sachet also contains sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride and potassium chloride. The contents of the sachets should be mixed with water to make a drink. Macrogol is an inert substance that passes through the gut without being absorbed into the body. It relieves constipation because it causes the water it is taken with to be retained in the bowel instead of being absorbed into the body. This increases the water content and volume of the stools in the bowel making them softer and easier to pass.
Sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride and potassium chloride (electrolytes) are included in each sachet to help ensure that the laxative works without causing the body to gain or lose significant amounts of sodium, potassium or water that are needed for proper functioning of the body.
- A dose of Movicol Plain laxatives is 1 sachet.
- Take this 1 -3 times a day according to the severity of your constipation.
Before you take Movicol Plain laxatives for faecal impaction, it should be confirmed that you have this condition.
A dose of 8 laxative sachets a day of Movicol is needed for the treatment of faecal impaction. The 8 sachets should be taken within 6 hours for up to 3 days if required. If you have a heart condition do not take more than 2 sachets in any one hour.
How to mix:
- Open the sachet and pour the contents into a glass.
- Add about 125ml or ¼ pint of water to the glass.
- Stir well until all the powder has dissolved and the Movicol solution is clear or slightly hazy, then drink it.
- If you are taking Movicol for faecal impaction it may be easier to dissolve 8 sachets in 1 litre of water.
Duration of treatment:
Treatment with Movicol usually lasts for about 2 weeks. If you need to take Movicol for longer, please see your doctor.
If your constipation is caused by an illness such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis (MS), or if you take medicines that cause constipation your doctor may recommend that you take Movicol for longer than 2 weeks.
Usually for long term treatment that dose can be lowered to either 1 or 2 sachets a day.
Treatment with Movicol laxatives can be for up to 3 days.
If you take more Movicol than you should:
You may develop diarrhoea. Stop taking MOVICOL Plain until it clears, and then start again at a lower dose. If you are worried contact your doctor or pharmacist.
If you forget to take Movicol:
Take the dose as soon as you remember to take it.
Do not take Movicol if your doctor has told you that you have:
- a blockage in your intestine (gut obstruction, paralysis of the intestine (ileus))
- a perforated gut wall
- severe inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease or toxic megacolon
- an allergy to the active substances or any of the other ingredients of MOVICOL Plain
Follow the special instructions in the directions section if you are taking Movicol for faecal impaction.
Pregnancy and breast feeding
If you are pregnant or breast feeding talk to your doctor before taking Movicol.
KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN.
PLEASE READ ALL PRODUCT PACKAGING AND LABELS PRIOR TO USE.
Macrogol 13.125g, sodium chloride 350mg, sodium bicarbonate 178mg, potassium chloride 50.2mg, with no sweeteners or flavouring